There are endless types of crafts that creative people from all over the world have produced. Some are created for the home, some are made for kids, and others are made for no other reason than to just exist, and just like any mass produced merchandise, there are some crafts that are just a fad, while others have the staying power to be passed on from generation to generation. Here’s a list of top 5 classis crafts that are here to stay:
5. Crochet Blankets: Baby blankets especially. It makes the perfect gift for a new baby and it can come in a full rainbow of colors, but they are not cheap. It takes time and plenty of material to whip up a crochet blanket.
4. Candles: Soy has slowly begun to replace the paraffin waxes used in candle making. It’s easier to use, burns cleaner and is better all around for the environment. The fragrances come in an assortment of selections like Grandma’s Apple Pie, Lemon Meringue, and Downy April Fresh.
3. Greeting Cards: People need cards to say the things that they cannot say themselves, therefore, card makers exist. A handmade card is much more special than receiving one off the shelf at Walgreens.
2. Flower arrangements: It’s not just a matter to sticking some fake flowers in a vase. It takes a creative eye to turn an arrangement into something that a customer can take home and use as a centerpiece.
1. Jewelry: Jewelry isn’t going anywhere anytime soon and people, women especially, have too many outfits to accessorize!
Visit any local craft show and these items are sure to be found. In the Lake County area, Parkside Summer Arts and Crafts Festival is being held June 26th and Long Gove’s Strawberry Festival is being held on June 25th-27th. Both shows are within 30 minutes of the Waukegan area.
Have your own top 5 list? Leave a comment and share it with the rest of us!