Thursday, April 1, 2010

Featured Crafter: Kristen VandeBerg, Kristen's Kreations



I have had the pleasure of working with Kristen, of Kristen's Kreations for over a year now. I met her at a local craft show and saw she had made greeting cards and bath baskets, which was needed in our store. Soon after our meeting, she graciously agreed to sell her crafts with me and has had her items on display ever since.

Kristen is a local crafter from Antioch and makes beautiful handmade cards and bath sets that include bath salts and soaps. She has cards for every occasion and holiday in a variety of styles and even has some very handy boxed sets of thank you's, birthday, and assorted cards.

One of the reasons why Kristen's cards are so special is that she spends the time to color them. All of that coloring in the lines you learn as a kid has definitly paid off for her because her cards are beautiful!

So in order to give everyone a better idea of the how's and why's of what Kristen makes, she let me interview her:

Can you describe the types of crafts you make?
I make greeting cards for all occasions using a variety of materials, including stamps, stickers and buttons, markers, watercolor pencils and chalks just to name a few.

When and why did you start crafting?
I started crafting as a child with my grandmother, and it’s something that I continue today because I find it an enjoyable way to pass the time and because I like to make things that make other people happy.

What made you choose card making as your crafting medium?
I chose card making because I was tired of buying the same old boring cards at the store all the time, and wanted to give something different. I am constantly coming up with new ideas, and have a lot of fun making them come to life.

What new projects are currently working on?
I am starting to learn scrapbooking, and am working on a scrapbook for my 6mo old son.

What would be your advice to someone who wanted to start making cards?
Take a class or two at a local scrapbooking store. They definitely helped me in learning some different techniques and are a great source of information. Then, buy some paper and a few stamps and go for it!

What is the biggest challenge you face in the craft market today?
The biggest challenges are to design a product that is different from what is sold in stores and by other crafters, and to price it so that people will want to buy it.

What has been your experience working with Handmade Specialties?
I’ve had great experiences working with Handmade Specialties. Raeanne is a wonderful person and has become a good friend in the year that I’ve known her. I recommend the store to anyone who is looking for unique, handmade gifts.


For more of Kristen's Kreations visit her display in our store or online at http://kristens.kreations.tripod.com/index.html.

Kristen also teaches classes on card making so if you are interested, give us a call!

Free Counters
Free Counters

No comments:

Post a Comment